Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Happy New Year!

It's the beginning of January and everyone keeps asking me, "What's your New Year's resolution?" It seems strange, but I've never made one before. I find them pretty pointless; come June, who can even remember what their resolution was?

This year I'll jump on board though. I resolve to chronicle my culinary adventures in this amazing city - and hopefully I'll hit a few other cities as well! With my job, I could certainly use a creative outlet. Math (even if it is just retail math) can get awfully tedious, especially for someone who has never considered herself a "numbers person." I've been using cooking as that outlet, but I've really missed writing lately. That's something college-age Miss Lyss never would have believed, considering how many painful all-nighters I used to pull in order to crank out papers!

I'm shooting for at least one post a week, even if it's just to tell you about the easy, delicious sandwich that I made for lunch yesterday. Speaking of which...
Ham and Apple Sandwich
  • 2 slices of whole grain bread
  • About 6 slices of deli honey ham (how hungry are you?)
  • 1 slice of cheddar cheese
  • A few very thin slices of apple (I used honeycrisp but pretty much anything except a super tart one would work)
  • A small handful of fresh baby spinach
  • Whole-grain Dijon mustard

Place the ham on one slice of bread, then layer the cheese, apple and spinach. Spread the other piece of bread with a little bit of the mustard (not too much, or that's all you'll be able to taste). I think you know what to do from here.

I ate it at room temperature, but it would probably be really good in a panini press as well. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. The thought of writing still makes me shudder... but have fun with it! I'll be sure to keep reading, especially if you keep posting recipes. You should come have culinary adventures in Chicago; maybe we could even get reservations at Alinea if you planned far enough in advance...

    ReplyDelete