Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Cruelty of Television

I've been cooped up in my bedroom for the last 4 days with bronchitis but am feeling much better now, thanks to those crazy mega-dose antibiotics. The worst part was probably the sore throat, which meant that I was confined to a diet of soup and tea for what seemed like an eternity. Of course, it didn't help that I was spending about 8 hours of the day watching the Food Network or PBS cooking shows (some of my favorite cooking shows are on PBS - America's Test Kitchen, Lidia Bastianicch, Hubert Keller). Alton made chocolate chip cookies and I wanted to cry. Paula made sauerkraut and ribs and I started to salivate.

While the content of the shows was definitely the worst part, the commercials certainly didn't help. Even when I would attempt to escape the torment by watching TLC (I'm also a sucker for John & Kate Plus Eight and What Not To Wear), the commercials served as a constant reminder of my inability to consume solid foods. I have a strong aversion to TGI Friday's but I would have probably given my right arm for some of those deep fried green beans in their commercials.

I'm apparently a glutton for punishment, because I spent the other 2 waking hours of the days reading cookbooks or food magazines. James Peterson's Cooking was especially painful because he includes such beautiful photographs, but I did learn quite a bit about different cooking techniques and got some great ideas for recipes to try.

I think some good will come from being sick; I foresee a cooking binge in the next few weeks! I think all the delicous recipes I observed and the reading I did have inspired me to make some things I've been meaning to try. Right now I've got some amazing Rancho Gordo beans soaking at home and I picked up some gorgeous greens from the Farmer's Market this morning (Dinosaur Kale, Curly Kale and red-stemmed Swiss Chard), so I'm concocting a bean, greens and ham soup for dinner tonight. I'm determined to try a pate or terrine next weekend, which ought to be really interesting! Until then, however, here's a recipe from my favorite FN cooking show, Good Eats. The Macaroni and Cheese episode was on while I was sick, and I love Alton's recipe. NOTE: I can't stress the importance of tempering the egg with the milk mixture so you're not left with scrambled eggs in your mac 'n cheese!

Alton's Baked Macaroni and Cheese
  • 1/2 pound elbow macaroni
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1 tablespoon powdered mustard
  • 3 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup yellow onion, finely diced
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 large egg
  • 12 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • Fresh black pepper

Topping optional but highly recommended!

  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup panko bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente.
While the pasta is cooking, in a separate pot, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and mustard and keep it moving for about five minutes. Make sure it's free of lumps. Stir in the milk, onion, bay leaf, and paprika. Simmer for ten minutes and remove the bay leaf.
Temper in the egg. Stir in 3/4 of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Fold the macaroni into the mix and pour into a 2-quart casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.
Melt the butter in a saute pan and toss the bread crumbs to coat. Top the macaroni with the bread crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and rest for five minutes before serving.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment